Women who want to start their own business have to face more challenges than men trying to do the same. The reality is that women continue to be underrepresented at top level positions and in board rooms. Their pay remains unequal, and further evidence of inequality is still in place. But some women seem to have been able to overcome this.
Take Pam Murphy. In her role as COO, Charles Phillips relies on her being mistress of every situation. This is one woman who has made it to the top and who has shown the world that she can do it. So what are some of the traits that you commonly see in women like Murphy, but also in other successful business women?
Traits in Successful Businesswomen that You Can Emulate
- Self-belief. Successful businesswomen know that they can do that. And they are so sure of it, that they won’t allow misogyny to stand in their way. At the same time, however, they must not be arrogant in their self-belief, just confident.
- In order to reach the top, you have to want to get there, no matter what obstacles get thrown in your way. And, as a woman, there are plenty of obstacles.
- This goes back to self-belief, but women have to be confident about things other than who they are. They have to be confident in their skills, including their delegation skills, confident that they make the right decisions, confident around people, and more.
- Without being passionate about something, women will never make it to the top. In fact, this is true for men and women alike.
- Willingness to learn and humility. You cannot become successful if you are arrogant and, while you must believe in yourself and be confident, you also have to be realistic and know that you don’t know everything yet, but you are ready to learn.
- Sense of purpose. You have to know what you’re doing and why you are doing it, and you need to motivate others to follow you.
- This is one where women often struggle. Being assertive means being able to say no, and being able to stand your ground, but without being aggressive at the same time.
- Hard work. Nobody, not even men, has ever been able to get to the top of the ladder without working hard. If you don’t want to work hard, you obviously lack the passion and sense of purpose as well.
- Let’s be honest, it takes guts for a woman to take on a male dominated world and prove her worth. She shouldn’t have to do that, but the way the world works at present is that she will. She will be an example for thousands of women who will follow in her footsteps, however.
- Things will go wrong, people will knock you down. You have to be persistent and keep going, even in the face of adversity.